APPLY FOR YOUTH RIOT 2018 NOW
Deadline to submit your application to Courtney Tromburg firstname.lastname@example.org is February 4th, 2018 @ midnight.
-Do you identify within the LGBTQQAIP2S+ spectrum?
-Are you between the ages of 14-21 years old?
-Do you want to create art with like-minded teens from across the city?
-Are you interested in learning creative ways to share your story?
-Do you want to learn from some of the best theatre artists in Calgary?
Then WE WANT YOU for YOUth Riot!
TO APPLY, please send your application to our Program Coordinator, at email@example.com before February 4th at Midnight!
What is YOUth Riot?
Alberta Playwrights’ Network’s YOUth Riot – now in its fourth year – is a FREE opportunity for Calgary’s Queer youth to rise against the status quo and learn to share their voices through the art of theatre!
Over the course of 3 months, Alberta Playwrights’ Network and guest artists will facilitate a playwriting program for Queer teens, helping them tell their stories through the medium of 10-minute text for performance. Designed to ignite creativity in teens, YOUth Riot provides valuable tools to foster confidence, acceptance, and positive self-image through workshops, mentorship, and skill-building sessions.
YOUth Riot finishes with a public festival of short plays written by the participants and staged by professional actors and directors from the theatre community.
YOUth Riot runs every Thursday at 6:00 PM - 9:00 PM from February 22nd - May 3rd, 2018. All meetings are at CommunityWise Resource Centre, 223 12th Avenue SW.
Some LGBTQ Youth statistics*:
- 4 in 10 LGBTQ youth say the community in which they live is not accepting of LGBTQ people
- LGBTQ youth are TWICE as likely to physically and emotionally bullied
- 73% of LGBTQ youth say they are more honest about themselves online than they are in their real lives
- 92% of LGBTQ say they hear negative messages about being LGBTQ – namely at school, online, and from their peers.
- LGBTQ youth are TWICE as likely to be homeless than their heterosexual peers
- LGBTQ youth are THREE times as likely to abuse illegal drugs
- LGBTQ youth are FOUR times more likely to attempt suicide, and are 5.4 times more likely to suffer from severe depression (Suicide is the second leading cause of death among young people between the ages of 10 to 24)
*statistics from Human Rights Campaign, PFLAG, and The Trevor Project
This program is made possible through a generous donation from an anonymous philanthropist.