APPLY FOR YOUth RIOT 2017 NOW
Deadline to submit your application to Paul Welch firstname.lastname@example.org is February 12, 2017 @ midnight.
WHAT IS YOUth RIOT?
YOUth Riot is a free 3-month playwriting program for Queer teens managed and offered by Alberta Playwrights’ Network. The YOUth Riot program is now in its third year, and was originally created at Third Street Theatre.
The Program: Over the course of 3 months, Alberta Playwrights’ Network will facilitate a space for industry professionals and guest artists to work with 10 Queer teens by helping them tell their stories through the medium of playwriting and theatrical storytelling. This is a hybrid playwriting and workshop-based program, where industry professionals lead workshops aimed at mentoring program participants and playwriting skills are developed during these sessions. The program is designed to ignite creativity in teens with or without experience in playwriting, and most importantly, provides valuable tools to foster confidence, acceptance, and positive self-image.
The program finishes with a public festival of short plays written by the participants and staged by professional actors and directors from the theatre community.
Eligibility: LGBTQQAIP2S+ Youth, (13-20 yrs old)
Applications due: Feb 12th, 2017
Program Length: Feb 23, 2017 – May 15, 2017
Meeting Venue: CommunityWise Resource Centre
Meeting Times: Thursdays from 6-9pm
Public performance: Monday, May 15th, 2017 at 7pm at Lunchbox Theatre in the Calgary Tower. Admission by donation.
Some LGBTQ Youth statistics*:
- 4 in 10 LGBTQ youth say the community in which they live is not accepting of LGBTQ people
- LGBTQ youth are TWICE as likely to physically and emotionally bullied
- 73% of LGBTQ youth say they are more honest about themselves online than they are in their real lives
- 92% of LGBTQ say they hear negative messages about being LGBTQ – namely at school, online, and from their peers.
- LGBTQ youth are TWICE as likely to be homeless than their heterosexual peers
- LGBTQ youth are THREE times as likely to abuse illegal drugs
- LGBTQ youth are FOUR times more likely to attempt suicide, and are 5.4 times more likely to suffer from severe depression (Suicide is the second leading cause of death among young people between the ages of 10 to 24)
*statistics from Human Rights Campaign, PFLAG, and The Trevor Project
This program is made possible through a generous donation from an anonymous philanthropist.