Submission Deadline: March 1st, annually
The Alberta Playwriting Competition is the longest running provincial playwriting competition and offers the largest cash prize of any playwriting contest in Canada. It is open to all playwrights who reside in Alberta, whether they are members of the Alberta Playwrights' Network or not. Winning plays and Honorable Mentions often receive additional dramaturgical support through APN's development Programs.
Grand Prize Category - $3500
• Open to all unproduced scripts by Alberta Playwrights
Discovery Prize Category - $1500
• Open to all unproduced scripts by Alberta Playwrights who have not been produced in a professional setting. Playwrights may have upt to two other plays produced in a non-professional or festival setting. This category is intended for "emerging" playwrights.
For the 2015 Rules and Entry Form
- Mary's Wedding by Stephen Massicotte (premiered at Alberta Theatre Projects' playRites in 2002/Betty Mitchell Award for Outstanding New Play)
- Apple by Vern Thiessen (premiered at Workshop West in Edmonton/Sterling Award for Outstanding New Play in 2002)
- The Last Train by Daniela Vlaskalic and Beth Graham (premiered at Shadow Theatre in Edmonton 2004)
- Blood by Meg Braem (Canadian premiere at Sage Theatre in Calgary 2010)
- Super 8 by Mark Hopkins and Charles Netto (Canadian premiere at Lunchbox Theatre in Calgary 2012)
The 2014 APC is presented in association with: